<bgsound src="http://owenguy.tripod.com/03_Track_3.wma" loop=infinite>
P i l 0 t s
Qz
th@m
k3nny
r@m
Jiah0
t3hteh

R a d @ r
Flights
Transmission
Destinations

Monday, October 09, 2006

Due to numerous cross references from Kenny and an overwhelming desire to know what really happened at the checkpoint, I feel compelled to note down the incident despite having to abandon my own blog in a state of isolation and delapidation. Henceforth this shall prove the purity of my commitment in sustaining this sacred domain.

It was made known to me earlier in the year that for some reason I have rights to retain my Chinese citizenship still and will have to make a proper oath so as to officially relinquish its rights. To me it's an act of reundancy cos I dun see them asking me that before enlistment if they so wish me to swear allegiance to a nation I genuinely regard as my home. So with this renewed burden of having to be accountable to SR Narthan from then on, it probably occurred to them that they should get me to take an oath just in case I drift over to the dark side (which I never considered but since they're giving me the idea now...mmm). Apparently I took my time cos it was stated that I am giving 1 year to do it, but I was never informed that I wouldn't be able to extend my passport without taking this omnipotent oath witnessed by some kinda godly commissioner who resides in a 5m by 5m box high up in the ICA building on a daily basis...

When I was refused extension a day before my day of flight, ICA referred me to their "officer" who promptly made it sound like it's my fault right from the beginning. I absolutely agree of course. First that this process of oath taking is paramount and cannot be skirted despite the fact that i have been residing in the country for 15 years now and bearing all responsibilities of a citizen including being drafted into NS. Everyone's is supposed to have known the liabilities of trying to extend a passport without first taking the oath cos I'm positive that it has been broadcasted 24/7 on all media channels. And most importantly, listen to this theory: It can be arugued that an individual who delays taking his oath as someone uninterested in taking up citizenship. If one is to relinquish citizenship rights, the country involved should be more than glad to let him leave. By refusing passport extension, you are effectively locking the individual within the country. How does that appeal to those who are logical? Maybe I'm not...I dunno...

And so I argued and they agreed to do an extension of 5 months 3 weeks, 6 days short of guaranteed validity. Furthermore, they want me to bear all responsibilities of being refused entry should it occur at any checkpoint. I wanted to say that it kinda defeats the purpose having ICA in the first place but oh well...they sit in offices and wear suits. Maybe I need a tux to convince them. They explained that they can't extend my passport beyond the validity of my next birthday, but I don't quite get the rationale for requiring the passport to be nicely expired before I get my certificate of citizenship after oath taking. What in the world do they have to do with each other? So probably next time I should bring the cert travelling? An interesting thought...

I cleared the checkpoint on the side of China without a hint of a problem. I supposed noone gives a damn and only the officers at ICA seem to think it's a colossal deal. Probably...I mean if they wear suits and all... :)

Tensai23 blogged at 3:07 PM